Pullman kitchen fire damages Azia Restaurant

Pullman Firefighters responded to a kitchen fire Tuesday afternoon at the Azia Restaurant. 

A flare-up occurred at 1:15 while a chef was cooking meat. 

According to a press release, the College Hill restaurant evacuated everyone out of the building before firefighters arrived at the scene. 

Fire marshal Chris Wehrung said when a fire flares up like this one, normally the restaurant’s commercial hood fire extinguishers are activated automatically but that did not happen in this case.  He said there is a chance that the fire from the charbroiler did not get hot enough to trigger the extinguishers. 

Fire investigators said the restaurant will need to bring in an electrician to repair the damage.   

Wehrung said there was no structural or water damage to the restaurant and the amount of loss will be determined later when the owner meets with insurance representatives.