A discarded cigarette caused a wildland fire on Saturday that threatened buildings on the East side of the Washington State University campus.
Pullman City Firefighters and Whitman County Fire District 12 Volunteers responded to the wildfire around Noon. The fire burned about a quarter of an acre near the intersection of the Moscow-Pullman Highway and Terre View Drive. The fire threatened buildings owned by WSU and the USDA. The fire grew quickly in gusty winds and triple digit temperatures.
WSU’s fire investigator found a freshly tossed cigarette were the blaze started. Fire officials are reminding the public to be extra careful with fire and do not discard cigarettes from a vehicle.